From medical equipment and machinery to outdoor furniture, powder coating can be used for a variety of applications. However, there is not just one kind of powder coating — there are multiple types of powder coatings, each with its own unique benefits.
Fluoropolymer coating is a specific type of powder coating that is popular among industries for numerous applications. With standout benefits like weather resistance and durability, it makes sense that many businesses use fluoropolymer coatings. Learn more about fluoropolymer powder coating below to see if it is the right choice for your next powder coating order.
What Are Fluoropolymers?
Fluoropolymers are high-performance plastics with strong carbon-fluorine bonds. These bonds and the unique atomic structure make fluoropolymer an ideal substance for a variety of uses. Fluoropolymers are frequently used in a powder coating form to help achieve chemical resistance, corrosion protection and other capabilities.
What Is Fluoropolymer Coating?
Fluoropolymer coating is a specific type of powder coating. Powder coating is a more durable and long-lasting alternative to liquid paint. Powder coating provides both design and functional benefits to products.
Powder coatings consist of the following ingredients:
- Polymer resin
- Curing ingredients
- Pigments to add color
- Flow modifiers
In the case of fluoropolymer coatings, the polymer resin would be made of fluoropolymers. More specifically, fluoropolymer coatings use a blend of dry film fluoropolymer lubricants ad high-caliber resins. Fluoropolymer coatings can be broken down even more into specific resin types.
Two common types of fluoropolymer powder coatings include:
- Fluoroethylene vinyl ether (FEVE) resin: FEVE fluoropolymers are one of the most common fluoropolymers. This type of powder coating offers a full-coverage finish with only one coat. This material is also suitable for outdoor use and can withstand varying weather conditions better than other types of fluoropolymers.
- Polyvinylidene difluoride (PVDF) resin: PVDF fluoropolymers are another common choice. However, unlike FEVE fluoropolymers, this powder coat requires a primer and typically needs more than one coat to achieve the best finish.
What Are the Uses of Fluoropolymer Coatings?
Fluoropolymer powder coatings have a wide range of benefits, so this type of powder coating may be used for a variety of reasons. While fluoropolymer coatings are typically used to provide multiple benefits, a few of the stand-out reasons include its protective finish, design, weather-resistance properties and ability to quickly complete large-volume orders.
Fluoropolymer coatings are used just like any other powder coating. Industries like manufacturing, automotive and aerospace all use powder coatings to achieve a durable finish for their products or equipment. Fluoropolymer powder coatings offer additional protection and help keep equipment and products working their best.
Powder coatings also help keep products looking their best. Sometimes, powder coatings are used specifically for aesthetic purposes. Pigments can be added to the powder coating to create a variety of colors. The coating can then be used for patio furniture, car parts, bed frames, small appliances and other objects where visual appeal is important. This creates a durable, long-lasting and visually appealing finish.
What truly makes fluoropolymer coatings stand out from other powder coatings is their weather resistance. Fluoropolymer powder coatings have phenomenal weather resistance, making them the perfect choice for outdoor products and equipment. This type of powder coating can handle wet, rainy weather and hold up against powerful ultraviolet rays.
For example, outdoor furniture that uses fluoropolymer powder coating will maintain its beautiful finish longer than furniture with traditional paint or other types of powder coating.
Finally, fluoropolymer coatings are also used for larger projects or large-volume orders. Powder coatings are a much more practical option when it comes to large orders. With powder coating, orders can be completed much faster than traditional painting — preparation, application and drying times are shorter for powder coating projects.
Overall, the faster you receive your products or equipment, the sooner you can begin using them — quick production, especially for high-volume orders, is a major benefit.
The Benefits of Fluoropolymer Coatings
Fluoropolymer powder coatings provide many advantages. From the standard powder coating benefits to more specific benefits related to fluoropolymers, this type of powder coating can be a great choice for a variety of applications.
Some important benefits of fluoropolymer coatings include:
- High thermal stability: Even in extreme heat, fluoropolymer coating maintains its properties without damage. This makes it a great option for machinery or products that produce or are exposed to high temperatures.
- Electrical insulation: Fluoropolymers can also handle electric energy and high voltages. These electrical insulation properties make fluoropolymer powder coating ideal for electrical industries and any products that deal with electric energy.
- Chemical resistance: Fluoropolymer coatings are resistant to numerous chemicals, including bases, acids and other corrosive chemicals or substances. This means products and machines that use fluoropolymer powder coating can maintain their look and functionality — even if they come into contact with harsh chemicals.
- Friction resistance: Products and equipment that have moving parts can benefit from fluoropolymer coatings because it reduces friction. This can also help reduce the amount of maintenance required, as there won’t be as much wear on the product when friction is reduced.
- Ultraviolet stability: Ultraviolet rays can fade the color of outdoor products or equipment. Even with frequent exposure to the sun and ultraviolet rays, fluoropolymer powder coatings hold up well and retain their color much better than traditional paint or other powder coating types.
- Moisture resistance: Fluoropolymer coatings repel water, meaning this type of coating will reduce the risk of corrosion and other moisture damage.
- Excellent durability: Overall, fluoropolymer coatings are designed to last, giving each coated product a longer service life.
High-Quality Powder Coating Services With Keystone Koating
For superior industrial-grade or commercial powder coating services, contact our team at Keystone Koating. We pride ourselves on providing high-quality products with quick turnaround times, and we can do the same for you and your business. With over 30 years of experience, we’re able to handle a variety of projects, from large-volume orders to unique requests.
See how our team can benefit your business by requesting a quote today.